The Photography Programme of the Art History Dept. at Tel Aviv University is pleased to announce the organization of two-days conference in conjunction with the exhibition Beyond Hiroshima : The Return of the Repressed Wartime Memory. Performativity and the Fictional in Contemporary Japanese Photography and Video Art, at the Tel Aviv University Art Gallery (opening: March 2015).
The conference will take place on June 8-9th, 2015 at the History of Art Dept. Tel Aviv University. First day, organized by Dr. Orly Shevi, will be dedicated to questions of the Holocaust and Photography. The second day, dedicated to issues regarding Japanese photography and the war (wartime, postwar, 50s, 60s… contemporary), is organized by Dr. Ayelet Zohar.
Papers relating to war memory and its documentations, representation, simulations, staging, fictions, performances and visualizations through photography, video art, performance and experimental cinema are welcome. Possible proposals may refer to the following issues, but not limited to these :
- Documentations of the Tokyo/ civilian centres/ city bombings
- Photography through the war, by Japanese photographers/ of Japanese military
- The atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- Postwar documentations of relics
- The dead, the wounded and Hibakusha
- Images of war re-staged for the camera
- Contemporary photography of war relics
- Performances and parafictional make-belief
- Testimonial videos in Contemporary art
- War nostalgia and war romanticism in Japanese photography and cinema
Please send a short abstract of 250 words + a bio to Dr. Ayelet Zohar. Art History Dept. Tel Aviv University email@example.com by Feb. 15th, 2015.
Any questions regarding the conference or possible submissions can be forwarded to Dr. Ayelet Zohar firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward to receiving your proposals.
Dr. Ayelet Zohar
Art History Department
The Yolanda and David Katz Faculty of the Arts
Tel Aviv University
Tel Aviv 69978